The Order of the Lantern
The Free Cities
The Free Cities are a loose confederation of independent city states. After the The Talisorian Empire had conquered its neighbors and began to move west the seven members of the Free Cities held a summit and formed the Compact. United, they were able to halt the Talisorian advance and force a stalemate. Although each of the cities governs itself autonomously under the Compact each city must provide some of its resources to maintain the highways which connect them. The Compact also created a unified currency system.The Free Cities are:
- Tasir: A trade hub located in the delta where the river Kymur meets the Inner Sea, nicknamed ‘The Hothouse Orchid’, Tasir is a humid city of canals populated by passionate, superstitious and sensual people.
- Ebetal: Located in the center of the Free Cities’ territory, this city has seen a population and economic boom since the signing of the Compact and is now seeking to expand its influence.
- Khavares: The city closest to Talisoria, Khavares is a military city. It is ruled by the Lord Commander and only those who join the army have full citizenship. Khavares is the closest of the Free Cities to the Badlands and so is subject to frequent raids by savages.
- Merondor: Founded by elves outcast from the court of Queen Siellenia, Merondor is a magocracy, ruled by an archmage and his council.
- Canthum: Located on the west coast of Nathemar, this city trades extensively with sailors from The Dragon Isles
- Assina: This city is known as ‘The Holy City’ and ‘The City of Saints’ to some; to others it is the ‘City of Fanatics’. Every major religion of Nathemar has its seat here (with the exception of the Divitic Church of Talisoria). It is a place of constant turmoil as different cults vie with one another for control.
- Nekhret: Located far to the north, at the headwaters of the Kymur, this decadent and deceitful place is a ruled by a mysterious god-queen.